Sunday, August 25, 2013

If I Built A School

Content Since I will be teaching History for 11th and 12th graders, I would want them to know the basic uses of a computer. They would need to know how to use different programs such as, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and it would be a requirement for everyone to have an email address. I would also hope that they would have some basic knowledge of U.S. History. For example, I would want them to have some recollection of certain wars that took place and have a little more than an idea of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Content I would want my students to be able to make power points and explain in their own words different parts of History. I would want my students to be able to learn independently and in groups. Like Sugata Mitra showed, the children helped each other learn different skills with the computer. I want my students to help each other explain History in different perspectives. Methods My main method of teaching would be hands on activities and visual entertainment. I would love to take my students on field trips and see where History actually took place. I might be interesting to read about History, but to me, it is way more interesting to be able to physically see where it took place and how. I would love for my students to have group projects where they can reenact parts of History. Tools The main tools I would use in my classroom are a computer and a video camera. When my students do their reenactments of History, I want them to be able to make cool videos. I think it would make it fun and interesting for them. Why write research papers when you can do the research yourself and reenact what happened? Or even make a power point of what you have learned? Learning Environment Like I explained earlier, they will almost always be an active part in the learning process. They will help one another to teach one another.They will make power points and explain in their own perspective of a certain part of History. They will also research and recreate a moment in History. For example, they can dress up, make certain foods, almost anything to recreate that moment in History. I feel like high school students don't really have the chance to be creative anymore in that aspect. Its all about routine and structure. I want to break from that and see the creativity and excitement brought back to History.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. The only problem I saw was you really didn't summarize the blog post from Krissy Venosdale and the video post from Sugata Mitra. Other than that, you made some really good points and having an active class is something I will most definitely consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will know all of the computer programs you have listed (or equivalents). In fact, they will probably be more skilled than you. So "basic knowledge of US History" means "some recollection of certain wars that took place and have a little more than an idea of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution." Not much!

    "...explain in their own words different parts of History." What do you mean by this?

    They will know how to create presentations using a variety of tools. You will not have to teach them applications!

    "... visual entertainment." Entertainment?

    " it is way more interesting to be able to physically see where it took place and how. I would love for my students to have group projects where they can reenact parts of History." Yes and yes.

    Not just power points. You will learn about many other (and better) tools in EDM310 (or on your own).

    Who is Kathy Venosdale? Sugatra Mitra?

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete